Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_8ROYOlPx1jOIzEek6fUTZmMdfd6ZNNVp9Lr3-c3xM5JtjVfbHuMg-8tbcbUQIWh7>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:25:25 -0400

On July 19, 2007 02:13 pm, valkoharja wrote:

> Personally I think character advancement mechanics tend to be the most
> broken parts of practically all RPG systems. D&D has left a legacy
> that characters skill/power/ability has to grow with every act and
> accomplishment. Usually the mechanics are such that a 25 year old
> character will learn more in one year of adventuring than he/she had
> learned during all his/her life previously.

You are preaching to the choir here, Adept. :-) Now, I *do* like a mechanically linked reward system in games if there is going to be any sort of extended play. But I find most such systems somewhat broken, as you say.

> Saga style play is my favorite in this, where character development is
> slow and gradual, and happens over the seasons, years and decades.
> Fast developments come from gaining mythical artefacts, building
> social networks and of course heroquesting.

I have liked the Saga system in concept. But dramatic logic also allows for the occasional fast growth in certain things. (The intense training montage, etc.)

> -Adept : who usually has people create competent, even powerful
> characters and slows any experience systems to 1/10 speed of
> what is recommended in a source book.

Same here, actually.