Re: Initiate v. Practitioner

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_TUcnkNcdlHvWf_RRUHSSYTAvjE71B-hqdMF5Er1AfLky7H4soxDZRelhAenolQkR>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:36:51 -0400

On July 19, 2007 06:14 pm, Chris Lemens wrote:

> I must not have been clear, because you have misunderstood me.

Indeed I have!! :-)

> The active
> magic of a practitioner's fetish spirit and the active magic of an
> initiate's improvised feat are roughly comparable, I agree. (I realize
> that's a gross generalization. Let's leave the nitpicks aside for the
> moment.) What is hugely different is in auto-augments.

Gotcha. And yes, there is a strong difference here.

(excellent, clear example snipped)

> Now, that's not to say that this is bad. Just different. I think it is
> reasonably balanced because the practitioner should have popped a fetish at
> a more appropriate moment. And it is more interesting to have the
> difference because it leads to different playing styles. The pracititioner
> may go for the big blow-out, while the initiate tries to win over the long
> haul.

I do, indeed, think having different strengths/uses of the magic is something to be preserved. I'm not sure these balance, but it's a very, very good point.

> > It used to bother me that it was an Animist-only trick - only in that I
> > always thought the augments were often too weak. i.e. - If I kick in my
> > "love for Igraine" for the final chance to save her, it might be cool if
> > it was worth more than a +5 even if 10W2. But it has occured to me since
> > that what is called for there is switching the Love for Igraine into the
> > main ability for the contest when appropriate, and not augmenting with
> > it.
>
> In an extended contest, you can get some of the same bang out of a big AP
> wager.

True. But for me the real insight was realizing that in an extended contest, not only can you bid high, you can switch the bid to using that Relationship as the main ability - even if your intent is to run the opponent through with your sword.

LC