RE: Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_OVOsqKjinwGd1F7yAu3WNiSxLdLCf_EZITrKMcACEMV1zrTdY1ETfmoFPcUGMip_5w8W>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:55:20 -0300

LC:
> OK. This I am curious about. Why do you think it doesn't handle
> ensemble play
> very well?
>
> On July 19, 2007 01:49 pm, samclau_at_35G3Gme_m2dfq86yNQJBV8BOilAsfmgBKIY7AviEdvXGdJKx5_n2bhLEL0XWNSwkUS5AwtJpPA.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that HQ doesn't handle ensemble play
> > so well at times, and this is a far far greater issue than power levels
> > seeing as almost any HQ game will at some time have PC's operating
> > together to achieve a single goal.

Um - I know this was ported over to the rules list but since LC addressed this to me here (WoG) and there were a bunch of responses here...those responses pretty much answer the question. Still, my point was: The options for a group with the same goal are (1) a simple contest where there is one principal actor augmented by the others, (2) an extended contest where different people may pitch in as main actor in the different rounds, (3) group extended contest. Only the last of these feels like a natural solution, the others feel less natural so are trickier to pull off (I find). Meanwhile, the last can be great fun but you don`t always want to go to such lengths. Splitting the contest into parts (as in a RQ fight, say) will tend to give an average result - fine in some circumstances.

Dunno, I'll cross-post. Sorry.

Sam.

p.s. A clarification for my original point - I said "at some times" meaning to exclude truly ensemble play - when everyone is going in a different direction (as in an Altman movie) - there it is great.