Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: donald_at_w_qCsTwM6uxuNwQ3h739Pt0xJS_ijymIPQWN-gwLxi6bl5DOZf33izvx9XmQKWQTpisYp
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:33:26 GMT

In message <027f01c7ca58$8b4b5010$6406a8c0_at_Camelot> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>I think I suggested that (for fetishes) the Lender needs to convince the
>Spirit (via "Friendship with Spirit") that it should aid the Lendee.
>Charms - hmm, I could see a group going either way - either you can loan
>charms with no problem (which might include looting charms from opponent's
>bodies), or not allowing a "loan", only a "gift". it gets evenb more
>complicated if the charm is "outside" the user's Practice/Tradition - could
>a Praxian use a Hsunchen charm?
>
>The rules don't state either way (for any of the possibilities above).

The idea of borrowing or looting charms is just so good that I think it should be possible. Another possibility is using charms as a trap or hiding them among your enemies belongings. It also emphasises the difference between animist and other forms of magic. I'd probably rule that there should be a penalty for using a charm from another practice because I think the when a practicioner gets a charm from a shaman the shaman tells him how to use it. And there may be repercussions from using charms which aren't acceptable in your culture.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/