Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_iDvi-6-rNfK9YazL-C2i1tjSyxbq2cUBf6glYY2tFgsHHoFa07jqm0H0gyoEfz-1h18ZJ>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:20:11 -0700

If I'm not mistaken, you actually said player initially, not character. I was referring to players. In CAPES, every player who wishes to participate in a scene may. They can do this by taking another character on, hence the possible difficulties of portability (aside from the specific game mechanics). They remain involved in the scene until the scene ends. I believe that was intentional, but I'd have to ask Tony about that. I believe Polaris is geared that way too, though I haven't seen it.

There's nothing to prevent *players* from taking other parts in an adventure - taking over someone's follower (with permission, of course) or a villain has been a staple in *my* gameplay since we ran each other's squires in 1st ed. Pendragon.

But if you want your *character* in at the climax, it's sometimes much harder. It takes effort on the part of the narrator, and patience on the part of the players, to set up a Return of the Jedi climax. A cutaway to "let's see what's happening on the Death Star" can upset Han and Leia, who were just about to do...something

I don't think a game *system* can guarantee a role for all characters in all circumstances. That's a Gamemastering trick.

RR