Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: David Dunham <david_at_Q9sgOCZgWnwvLYhSEm5AP58aZqhzf5oqMBN226bnk1T5RH5-cEDmuzCjm8kb7aeXr63RjD>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:28:57 -0700

Bryan

>Personally, I think that the examples in the homelands in HQ may have
>been assigned between talents, feats, charms, and spells without a lot
>of thought. I think the same effects, with slightly different names,
>would emphasize the difference more.

I agree that there didn't seem to be any discernable pattern. However, I think this supports the argument that there really is no useful difference between the different magic types in a narrative rules system.

>As a general rule, I think CM should have three or more words in the
>names, to make them more specific than general.

Now this sort of rule *does* make a difference in a narrative rules system, because it guides you as to whether you can use the ability or not (or perhaps how much of an improvisational modifier is applied).

Interestingly, it is roughly true with regards to feats vs affinities. "Burst of Speed" comes from the "Movement" affinity. The longer name constrains how it can be used (even though it's fairly broadly usable, this feat doesn't let you jump to the top of a tree, while that could clearly be improvised from the affinity).

--

David Dunham