Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable? (Ship Building)

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_fXK21PuwTtgR0djpmY4SdCTabMjzfFSVjICs3_d5F0vHOWE-YJNZTLzPyXPxXTB9AGe>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:49:52 -0000

OK, I'm a bit confused about which parts of the ever-expanding Rule Fiddling thread is on the HQ-Rules list, so assuming I'm not struck down by a vengeful Moderator ....

Ian:
> Let's say the entire Hero Band is working on building a ship.
There's
> two ways of doing this as an extended contest - the entire group
> gangs up on the single opponent (the ship) and probably whomps
seven
> kinds of hell out of it because of the vast disparity in APs
between
> four or five heroes and one middling-difficulty ship, OR, you break
> the ship up into multiple opponents for each individual ship
builder
> to take part in, which can create the odd situation of winning the
> battle, but losing the war when the HeroBand defeats the grouped
> opposition "winning" the conflict, which implies the boat was built
> successfully, but one of the group was defeated by the ship's hull,
> meaning you have a successfully built boat with big whoppin' holes
in
> the hull making it *unsuccessful* as a boat.

My first thought was "Why do this an an extended contest at all?" but then I got thinking.

Say you were planning on a seagoing expedition and wanted a ship. You go to the shipwright, he makes you a ship, bang, Bob's your Uncle, simple contest no problem.

But, say you were doing something like a Jason and the Argonauts or, a Dormal Opens the Seas kind of journey. You might have ancient plans from when your clan sailed the seas but stopped during the Closing. You might want a magical ship, to bestow it with powers and so on. What I'd do in that case would be to make a ship as an Extended Contest, with rituals, binding spirits/elementals/beings to the ship, enchanting parts of the ship and so on. I'd even make it a Guardian and the crew a Heroband, with some of the ship's abilities coming from the results of the Extended Contest.

See Ya

Simon (Moderator-Dodger)