Re: How Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_1XLmh9Vt_jsEd0CIF6RDZHjm50vqTl8B59iZ3Tagl3X_wejji0IYq8Au3hjDcGOJ>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:46:43 -0000

> To me the differences in magic are important. It is a narrative game,
> yes, but a significant part of the narrative it is about magic. The
> different types of magic.
> It would be boring and useless to have the magics all work the same way.

That's true, but it's also true that there are differences between physical conflict and social or psychological or intellectual conflict. The persistent effects (damage) and ways external factor such as equipment can be brought to bear are very different in nature. If a swimming contest, missile combat, physical combat and chess game can all be resolved using exactly the same rules then I fail to see why animist, sorcerous and theist magic can't.

Are the magical three worlds of Glorantha really more different from each other than the Gloranthan realms of ideas, emotions and physical things?

Simon Hibbs

P.S. I'm only arguing that if we can argue for special mechanics in the case of magic, we can equally argue for special mechanics for these other situations.

P.P.S I have a suspicion that in a sense the three magical worlds actually are the realms of ideas (theism), emotions (animism) and physical things (sorcery).