Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_hx99g2ENK0cZHif7L8RsCNEnxa7XBg4rZwFPZrEwKikyLCjVTOMaCcftM-xebUfHpgL2f>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:48:47 -0700

This particular thread (about "differentiation between magic" I think *is* suitable - as (even though it's arguing HQ-isms) the three-world model is seen as *important* in playing in glorantha, no matter what ruleset you're using. But I'll make a shout-out to the lists about it.

RR

  Ian answers me

> > would people be happy
> > leaving Gloranthan magic without specific rules? NO fiddly bits?
>
>Absolutely NOT. Why the hell would I pay good money for a game that
>doesn't have rules for one of the most fundamental aspects OF the game?

  I am not at all sure that magic is a fundamental aspect. I think   Gloranthan religions and mythology are more important. There are   plenty of games that deal with magic. No other game deals with   heroquesting. In other words, the important thing is not how your   character works magic, but your character's relation to magic.

  I seem to recall that many if not most GURPS settings don't have a   lot of setting-specific rules (they often have specific skills, which   isn't as important in HeroQuest).

  Greg

>It would be boring and useless to have the magics all work the same way.

  But they already do (in a high-level rules sense). You choose the   appropriate ability, and use it in a contest. I don't think this in   any way negates the distinction between the types of magic -- that's   reflected in your character's relationship to it, which depends on   the source of the magic. For example, use of a feat requires joining   a religion in the first place, and behaving more or less in the   prescribed fashion. And possibly getting along with the religious   hierarchy.

  This, BTW, is a way that Gloranthan magic *is* distinguishable from   sufficiently high technology.

>a significant part of the narrative it is about magic. The
>different types of magic.

  1. A lot of games involve members of a single culture, and thus are not about different types of magic.
  2. I remember reading the Deryni novels, which devoted a significant amount of the narrative to explaining the working of magic. I HATED this, and wished she'd get on to the plot.

  I also don't remember your narratives dealing with the different   types of magic. For example, in the exciting intro to HeroQuest,   there are clearly different types of magic, but the difference in   their origins and workings is immaterial.   --

  David Dunham