Re: A few thoughts still on chaos

From: Dan Guillou <dguillou_at_uI-O0NeoVmDpWoPb735VPt8h5pTAM-rpwJZL8xAIVHEnfyMmioYK80o5gpKvIh_UAwt>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:14:06 +0200

Hey, I know I'm a few weeks late, but I can't resist jumping in on this one. Here's my take on what happened to the PC who got chaos tainted by eating the heart of the extra special buck.

First, I don't think Odaylans are supposed to steal the intrinsic qualities of their prey. I think they are supposed to do the peaceful cut thing, respectfully sending the quintessence of brother elk back to the source of elkiness in the world. It is both about ensuring that there will be elk to hunt in the future, and about showing respect for brother elk (who has after all agreed to be hunted and be your food) by showing reverence and apreciation for this gift, and by taking no more than you need.

If a PC ,with more magical might than common sense, gets greedy and attempts to take the magical bigness of this special stag for himself by binding it in the heart and sinews of it, and eating. Consuming not just flesh, but magical essence... Well. I think several things are likely to happen:
The stag spirit gets fubared and will have difficulties going on through the natural cycle. Stag spirit unhappy. Big spirit of elk out in the forest unhappy.
Odayla unhappy. I guess the PC fumbled badly on his "Odayla lore" when he thought this one was going to be okay with the big guy. Chaos. Yes. That eating thing ...you know what that was? Just like Roderick said, it's perverted chaos magic. By acting chaotically, the greedy foolish PC has tainted himself, just like you can do with rape. So in my opinion, the original stag might not even have needed to be chaotic, although that will probably be everyones first guess when it turns out that great hunter Stag-Horn is getting tentacles.

Dan Guillou

PS How many biologists are we on this list? Poll?