Re: Detail with magic & rules for the same

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_h2YPYBjAJhD6eP7sbL8338pQQBTZclLpDddlbMlBoO6_2AZ_HPyD8WpIlZLLMJV7>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:00:10 -0700 (PDT)

RR, rresponding to Simon:

> > OK but how about if I substitute wizardry, theism and animism in that
> > sentence with unarmed combat, persuasion and seamanship?
> >
> > I agree that the differences between the magical worlds are
> > interesting and worth exploring in the game, but I don't see why that
> > necessitates extra rules for how abilities are gained, annotated,
> > improved and applied compared to any other abilities.
>
> Partly because we, as 21st century humans, don't have a good idea (or even a
> general idea) of how magic "works" in Glorantha, as opposed to unarmed
> combat, persuasion or seamanship.

I agree with Roderick on this point. A Gloranthan might know that Endrawaha Tradition Knowledge is needed to join the Bison Founder Practice, that Worship Bison Founder is needed to make friends with a bison practice spirit to put it in the fetish, and Friendship with Jimbob the Bison Spirit is needed to get it to come out and do something for you. We don't. The rules describe what abilities can be used in these unfamiliar sets of physics. The current rules are not the only way to describe that, but I think some way to describe it is needed.

An interesting subpoint implied by Simon's point is: Shouldn't you be able to improvise even these specialized abilities? Let's say you don't have Worship Bison Founder, but you do have Giant Dance and Know Praxian Ways at high levels. Couldn't you try to improvise your way into Worship Bison Founder. I think the answer is yes, but there should be a really big penalty, because doing the dance is only part of what you need. I think, essentially, you'd be using "base chance" of Worship Bison Founder and agumenting with Giant Dance and Know Praxian Ways, because the "what" you are doing is worshipping the Bison Founder, using those other skills.

That became very rulesy, but the point was simply to show by example that the rules tell us how these unfamiliar physics of Glorantha work.

Chris