Re: Detail with magic & rules for the same

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_1x_gS3IzBQr3ETpvljEbVv665IfBe_52Pki_aV-CZX8Xo1-qLI4A2Qx3SGgqK0hr>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:12:14 -0700 (PDT)

Simon:

> Less complex rules about how to construct and optimize the character
> to get abilities with one-word descriptions we then have little or no idea
> how to consistently apply in play.

I'm trying to understand this sentence. Can you give a concrete example? I think your point is to have magical abilities that are self-descriptive. So, for example, instead of having to look up how to make a fetish, you get "Make Bison Founder fetish" as an ability?

If that is the case, I think part of the idea behind the rules was to group little abilities like "Make Bison Founder fetish" into larger groups like "Bison Founder Practice Knowledge" in order to make the ability broader. I'm not sure that necessitates where the rule is, but it is a readily understood problem, since lots of little abilities are expensive to improve compared to, say, a combat ability.

Chris