Re: Detail with magic & rules for the sam

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_aitQHmjZYnryDN-i10e8Rbba5fg6VRRJr-R7hdQ5Mec99sbGJj3Yw7Cz4wrVdC18AW8bda1U>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:29:47 +0100

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_AA3SKW1M1V3De1zqNReqaJIQczkFlDr300qVKkdP9xhFSDXO60_1-ChJhxI8gn0MDN9v-OhQdlM.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>After seeing the discussion of this I'd decided o write u such
>descriptions, and will either post them here or, more likely, put them
>on the web site.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you have in mind, but something I'd like to see is a comparison between three characters who are extremely similar in concept, except that each one uses a different type of magic. For example, an orderly of St Gerlant, an initiate of Elmal and a practitioner of Yu-Kargzant, all of them mounted warriors with combat and fire magic.

If their magic is the main (or only...) way to differentiate them in play, how will that work? I'd be interested both in the in-world differences (how they call on the power, how it manifests) and the in-game effects - the differences between affinities and improvised feats, versus charms and fetishes, versus blessings and spells. From just a dry reading of the rules it can be hard to get your head around the way each magic type can be used in play - the pros and cons of each type, and how you'd use them most effectively. A worked example of an extended contest using the three horsemen I suggested above could be helpful.

Would that be useful?

Stephen