Re: How rare is it to know the secret of a god?

From: Olli Kantola <newsalor_at_rCSViIBY4ukOGhdGAZgBtWufgtEdbJUrjwlS5OvpHjFmDaOk8rjzlLxkMGpKqv91iVz>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:28:57 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, valkoharja wrote:

> I've been wondering how rare should it be for people to actually
> progress in a cult to the stage where one learns the secret.

I would guess that they are pretty rare. At least that's what the rules imply. Learning a secret requires concentration of magic and a lot of devotion. Raising 1-3 affinities to 1W2 isn't cheap.

Yet again, animists have it easy. Getting a few normal abilities to 1W2 is 3 times as easy. Plus every shaman, by definition, has learned the secret of his shamanic practice. So, in animist cultures secrets are common. Does this mean that animists are closer to the secrets of creation? Then again, secrets are vastly inferior to fetishes. . .

The wizardly folk seem to have no secrets to speak of.

I'll tell you whose secret is rare indeed, if played by the rules. Valere Addis. If I remember correctly, in order to learn her secret, you first have to attain a high position in a lunar cult, devote a bucketload of heropoints, then join Valere Addi, abandon your old cult, squander those magical affinities/feats/grimoires you had in your old cult, become and ordinate raise Valeres affinities to 1W2 and then use 3 heropoints to learn her secret. That's because only ordinates can learn secrets and ordinates have to forget all magic that is not from their own lunar immortal.

That's what the rules imply. How well does this model Glorantha?

Olli Kantola

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.