Re: Real World Vingans

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_ZIQZ8GYCA78lmC8VWPMiOd2JQpNnkJWfTKBBtOP1YwZ_C_grdtTnAsKoGnCmipf6>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:32:27 -0000

Donald :

> To the Heortlings male and female are defined by the
> roles people take. So to them a Vingan is male, attending
> the moot as a Thunder Brother with spear and shield not
> as a Weaver Woman with cookpot and spoon.
>
> Alternatively they have four sexes - Male, Female, Vingan
> and Nandan.
>
> In either case children are technically neuter until
> initiation.

An amusing discussion, firestarted by an at least semi-tongue-in- cheek remark by Greg.

Anyway, I'll pick up on your remark here --- and sorry, but this is a misunderstanding -- there are TWO genders, male and female (duh?) : NO neuter, Nandan, Vingan, nor Helering...

Jane mentioned that Vinga is not from the water Tribe, correct -- Vingans have no gender mutability whatsoever, and not even Helerings would have physically sexual mutability either, normally.

"Male" Vingans would be tomboys as children, just as young Nandani would be sissies (or whichever less derogatory term).

Only through Heler can male and female roles normally be taken on variously throughout life, or even mixed and matched, letting a Helering say help look after the kids of the clan and do some loom weaving etc, and still be war leader of the local fyrd, a good husband and father, etc...

Vingans and Nandani MUST choose between one or the other, although it has to be said that most Nandani wouldn't normally get any choice at all... but there is a place in Heortling society for women warriors, so that a Vingan _can_ be a woman, and proud of it ;-)

Julian Lord