Re: How rare is it to know the secret of a god?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_qkUMCXv9JTnCu1G_3_9-l3HTnydWt2HlzIAlULDZrqnJsKf4S17ooebh_I-2bFi6MFuIX>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:44:51 -0700

> I think this is expressed in the HQ rules. "Impressing the Examiners" or
> something like that. It states that the requirements for becoming a
> devotee, and by extention, learning a secret aren't strict "rules". If
> you can succeed at the contest, and the narrator agrees (natch), you can
> become a devotee with an ability score of 17 (or whatever).

Yep. In HW we had numerical limits to many more things (The "Must have 1w2 in 3 abilities to learn a secret*" type of stuff). But in HQ we decided that a lot of things were just "win this contest, if you can". So much more was put as Contests, without hard numbers that you had to have. Wanna become a devotee during play? Just win a contest against a 20w resistance. You might be able to do it with *none* of the "appropriate" abilities in the contest section - you *can* win a 6 v. 20w, after all...

And, of course, a player might start play with a VA Ordinate, if the Narrator agrees.

RR