Re: Dragonship Drydocks

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_FD3KMU4ssfAWpSxIfbDA4FL1M4rSgDvA4T00lopIZEIAdGDJ-CiMYehONL-Nm5cK7MoT_mm>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:41:23 -0700

YGWV DURUPT Jean wrote:

> There was a discussion about Waertagi dry docks.
>
> The Waertagi had a trade empire. They took care of the ocean trade
> between the various lands and between the mermen kingdoms.

In the First Age, anyway.

> They used their dragonship to do the transport.

Slightly more correctly: the used the dragonships as their home bases, their cities.

> I see the sea dragon as a gigantic pliosaur (a kind of sea reptile,
> short neck, 4 flippers).
> They were around 800m long, 200 m wide (+50m for the flippers) and 100m
> high.
> The dragonship should have a draft of around 30m.

I have seen them as gigantic serpents, myself.

> The dragonships are truly immense.
>
> The landlubbers had 2 options to trade with the waertagi.
> 1- the waertagi have a spot where the dragonship can drop anchor not too
> far from the shore, and they use barges or
> ships to transfer the cargo from the dragonship to the land. They may
> even make a floating harbor.

This is what I have imagined. And these ships are often merman- or undine-powered.

> We can call that a wet dock, because it is at sea.
> 2-either the waertagi or the landlubber build a gigantic structure on
> land that can house a dragonship. Since the
> waertagi can control waves, they can summon one to enter or exit it with
> the dragonship without too much
> difficulties. Since a dragonship is vulnerable when it is docked, the
> structure is operated by waertagi dockers, and
> is a waertagi enclave.
> The transfer of cargo is likes in a modern harbor (cranes ...).
> We can call that a dry dock, because it is on land.

For myself, the drydocks were very rare, and were used to haul the thing out of the water for repairs.

> The question is: where are the dry docks?

For myself, the places with "Sog" in their name were the only places that had drydocks for repairing ships: i.e. in Fronela and (before the darkness), at the edge of Prax. And probably in Brithos too.

--Greg Stafford