Re: Dragonship Drydocks

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_pkR7fHbq3JfxckyfnBJHPv2QnKXz3WySbAGzuJrtpk3twuaGe2F_MPrNr-UnO863n>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:56:15 +0200

>> I see the sea dragon as a gigantic pliosaur (a kind of sea reptile,
>> short neck, 4 flippers).
>> They were around 800m long, 200 m wide (+50m for the flippers) and 100m
>> high.
>> The dragonship should have a draft of around 30m.
>
> I have seen them as gigantic serpents, myself.

There is a picture somewhere, made by Dario IIRC, that represent the dragonship as dragon-shaped rather than dino-shaped. I would rather describe it as a tylosaur, i.e. a short-necked water dinosaur with big flippers.

>> We can call that a wet dock, because it is at sea.
>> 2-either the waertagi or the landlubber build a gigantic structure on
>> land that can house a dragonship. Since the
>> waertagi can control waves, they can summon one to enter or exit it with
>> the dragonship without too much
>> difficulties. Since a dragonship is vulnerable when it is docked, the
>> structure is operated by waertagi dockers, and
>> is a waertagi enclave.

I think the waertagi would never drag one of their ships ashore in a potentially unfriendly harbor, and since they are despised and distrusted by almost everyone they will consider any harbor as unfriendly.

In fact I prefer option 1, or the wet dock, too.

> For myself, the places with "Sog" in their name were the only places
> that had drydocks for repairing ships: i.e. in Fronela and (before the
> darkness), at the edge of Prax. And probably in Brithos too.

Hmmm, since we have a map of pre-closing Brithos now, is it possible to locate this drydock there? The dock was probably no longer used in the Second Age, but anything big enough to host a dragonship should leave a big ruin behind!