Re: Real World Vingans

From: donald_at_l8YAKoE3D7iy1cIYIWBdOJvJD_yrJW-CLcYhQWw7Pnkm4e6ptAmXwviZFgsup1S32KQdi
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:45:26 GMT

In message <4861c95a0707251150r5a467211hadf6e80e2f79ded9_at_9AiN9M7OV26bm0Tdbl8DzUbWOR-TFiJVI6a8Q9SAgBJoRNPMQFx3ACp3AwwoNv1GUTZuVU6qZZCXglSaoq54y4qVIuLuFHBvp2m5vSoKzA8CaWRe3_ThzUJc1cBMTSjC81BDLGs.yahoo.invalid> "Jakob Pape" writes:

>Aside from that excellent point, I also think that some of us have trouble
>changing assumptions because we can't always see what to switch to. If we
>know (or can look up) how, say, Orlanthi think about gender or marriage or
>whatever, that's great - at least I and my group love Glorantha because it
>is different. We like playing up to the differences (except where we don't
>and Our Glorantha Varies).
>
>If we don't know about the Orlanthi, but happen to have an idea of what
>Vikings or Celts thought, we might go with that.

In fact we don't have much idea how the Vikings or Celts thought. We can make guesses based on what's available such as Brehon law and myths. Unfortunately even they were only written down some generations after they were widely practiced.

>But if we don't have anything to go on, well, it takes an effort to not
>use the assumptions of our own culture. Sometimes we forget to make that
>effort, and sometimes it doesn't feel worth the effort if we'd just be
>making something up to fill the gaps afterwards - at least our cultural
>assumptions are easy to apply.

There are two things which help me to switch mindsets. Firstly is experience of differing cultural values and making the effort to understand why they are different. As a general rule there is always a good reason for any practice although it may be obsolete provided the practice isn't too onerous.

Secondly is understanding where our own cultural assumptions come from and why they developed. When you realise that many of them developed among the middle classes of the 19th century it's pretty obvious they are horribly anachronistic in ancient societies. Equally those originating in the various Christian churches are inappropriate for a pagan society. Going into detail is getting way off topic so I'll have to refer you to the social history section of a good library or academic bookshop.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/