Ability levels in magic; adversaries, bandits soldiers...

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_vXR2u0impoShbGdlg8mm6yQJsuDTCWMy1cTIS4V5b64RivwoNNSmcCH-JN0Y_sZiGr_>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:05:04 -0000

I've been thinking some more on the generally encountered level of magic for Glorantha games.

Player hero types tend to be at least competent magicians, and frequently are experts, but what about the magic a common sartarite clansman, a bandit or an imperial soldier can bring to bear?

I'm wondering does the average bandit have some magic trick to use that makes him a more effiscient bandit? Does an outlaw band commonly have a wyter that grants them all some some magic oomph, and what do they do to gain this wyter? I guess if an outlaw band has a godtalker of Gagarth, or a shaman, then other bandits tend to have magic from that source (they are propably cut off from whatever they had before becoming outlaws).

Is the average person more likely to have higher physical skills than magic skills, and indeed mostly augment those physical skills with their magic. How unusual is the bandit or orlanthi fyrd member who actually fights with his/her "befuddle foe 19" rather than using a spear and shield?

  -Adept