RE: Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Sam Elliot <samclau_at_6ebdn7wVj_fTdwc_EPGb5VF-ho29pkGNhzcselg9e5ZxJzckyo8oaIDdttqyclRo3L8Z>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:35:07 -0300

To add towhat Simon said:
> Would they help? Even if you had some examples, you might say "That's
> how those feats are used" and not realise that they can be used in
> other inventive ways.
>
> Think of all HeroQuest magic and abilities as enablers rather than
> blockers and all will flow, grasshopper.

Imagine you are writing a novel and you have a character who does lots of snazzy fire magic or has snazzy movement magic. You aren't going to bog yourself down on page 123 because on page 37 you allowed the character to whip up a wall of fire or fly through a 2nd floor window; you're going to let them do something very similar with basically the same capabilities.

That's the sort of thing which helped me realise what the magic was about.

Another thing which might help is to realise that no-one is watching! No-one is going to tell you you've just done it wrong.

The other thing to remember is that it is just numbers at the end of the day. I always drag Capes (the game) into such examples - you can drop a building on your enemy but it's the same, numerically as punching him in the face.

Sam.