Re: Dragonship Drydocks

From: donald_at_zlTB9-DDgBJnPxesyG0TWA-9aq1SnTnuzoKzwLwd1n3PVoe0OMf3yNRjUzN50wVB3SJt2
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:02:19 GMT

In message <f8d1gg+m9jc_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:
>wrote:
>>
>> The waertagi are not an aquatic race. They live on the seas, in their
>> cityships but not in the water.

I must have misunderstood the few references I've seen to them.

>> The dry docks are called dry because they are the rare locations
>>where a dragonship is not anchored some distance from the shore.

How do you anchor in deep water?
A sea anchor merely reduces drifting.

>> Since the waertagi trade with both the mermen and the landbased
>> countries, most of the time a dragonship is docked far from land
>> (a wet dock)
>
>Clearly a case of Your Gloranta Will Vary. I find such a take on the
>term drydock needlessly confusing, but each GM to his/her own.

More a case of Your English Will Vary. A dry dock is exactly what it says it is - a dock from which the water can be removed leaving the ship out of water, usually for repairs.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/