Re: Outlawry 4

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_E4PZd7LbhsEH5Zr0poJTTJPi9neH0NJaO1GFR93m41wcpmMNetNrw-PJL43mBZXmvRnmFxp>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:07:57 -0700

YGWV Quoting donald_at_H1JM9Us76GeHh9NISQzBOS77Bqhoc5kPEeV427RgBtuBeFskV9dhFL94eX-XNv3fMQ1fwcIfsSbErd7bmGGrW2uG-A.yahoo.invalid:

> So you find a windy hilltop and make your sacrifice to Orlanth.
> Or find a dark cave and sacrifice to Ernalda. There are several
> subcults of Orlanth which are for wanderers and since the Lunar
> occupation all godi of Orlanth have been outlawed.

They have been outlawed by the Lunar, but the Lunars do not have the power to break the worshipers' connections to their god. In a sense, it is a case of the Orlanthi worship being declared illegal, and the practitioners declared criminals, but not outlawed in the sense of Orlanthi justice.

A case of a vocabulary problem.

> I can see some theistic cults requiring attendance at proper
> temples in the right clothes and with properly appointed priests
> performing exactly the right rituals. However Orlanth and Ernalda
> will place much less importance on that.

Correct.

> I don't see theism in general being anything like as structured as
> it appeared in RQ. Any initiate can lead a ceremony though it's
> usually the most experienced or someone from the most appropriate
> subcult for the particular ritual. Devotees or even disciples
> are even better but aren't always available for clan ceremonies.

Correct.
Powerful leaders, the sacred place, the sacred time--all help make it easier to enter the Oherworld. But ae not NECESSARY.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford