Re: Outlawry

From: donald_at_gFv-BkSkQVv_kYUtbAbtRoCi_OyEc6Lg8a9aGVwyPkjUNkhZEAxsZMBj1ok7UlZRmloz2
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:54:49 GMT

In message <20070727135536.3zu64s7wm21w4k00_at_kLKmz8iLRnnCooR56-GM_07Ez4qj50JLPIeDquurbDwHIeCHO0aOjw4DnAXYVyMKLsyqxDIQkp45VH2kAeaL_m0hiSxQ4CB-IxtsquPxg_NOHFcVgtT0.yahoo.invalid> Greg Stafford writes:
>YGWV
>
>Quoting donald_at_uRQbkG0zhbx64-OaOu6iMnX0iqF8QbOzN-OuZoFKZQmDcNbrIoLCHm1GrSpbmwZTHsGlTX28MTinwRJX9x__b5y0.yahoo.invalid:
>
>> As far as being cut off from other magic goes it will depend on
>> exactly how they became outlaws. Someone outlawed by the tribe or
>> for political reasons won't be cut off at all.
>
>This is an interesting line of thought, new to me really. I've
>rearranged the second sentence to be up there to emphasize what I am
>thinking about.
>
>See, I had thought that here are would be different conditions of
>outlawry. Outlaw = outlaw, i.e. outside the law. And the reason for it
>doesn't matter.
>I have thought that outlawry would include a cruse as well, "I ask
>that the Great Deities and their tribe remove their benevolence and
>protection from these outlaws."
>Although I can see your point, where the godar might not include that
>curse, but just cut off the familial, temple, etc connections--that
>is, the Everything World connections.

It's straight out of Thunder Rebels page 44 second paragraph. The distinction between a clan outlawing someone and a tribe doing so. I'm assuming the Lunar authorities outlawing someone is equivelent to the tribe doing so.

>> Someone formally outlawed
>> by a clan will have their connection with Orlanth and Ernalda cut
>> but probably not other gods.
>
>If the Great Ones cut it off, so will their followers. So this leaves
>Gagarth, Mallia, etc, to be worshiped...

How about Lhankor Mhy, Issaries and other gods who have independant cults?

>> I'm not sure if that happens if they
>> disappear from the clan before the outlawry ceremony.
>
>An individual does not need to be present to be outlawed, and have all
>that bad stuff fall on him.
>
>> That may well be a means of keeping your magic.
>
>I will cogitate upon this, and see what others think...

That bit is just speculation and depends on how the ritual works. What is needed for the gods to identify the individual being outlawed? Clearly the presence of the person is ideal but maybe something closely associated with them is enough.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/