Re: Outlawry

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_4oK8STmb4_OZHcnincBfASnG7yZ7mUH5FiDy7IfeSTA4GxpgWmoo5ya5334lECGciqw>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:05:38 -0000

Greg Stafford:
> An outlaw could go to the temple, make sacrifices, etc., but ifhis
> link to the god is broken then it is worthless.
>
> > OK, you are not going to be able to worship very local deities as an
> > outlaw, but most Thunder Tribe deities should be fine.
>
> Not if a formal outlaw curse has been laid upon the person.

Is that right? Hmmmm. I never realised that being decalred an outlaw meant that you lost your link to your deity.

What would happen, for the same of argument, if a Devotee of Orlanth, or one of his subcults, from, say, the Colymari, were outlawed by the Colymari King, who is a well-known Lunar symapthiser? Would said devotee lose his link to Orlanth? Seems to be an excellent way of severely damageing a rival.

I'd have thought that being outlawed from a clan would allow you to go to another clan and be part of that clan. So, someone outlawed from the Greydog clan could go to the Posse clan, who are enemies of the Greydogs, and worship there. Similarly, someone outlawed from the Lismelder Tribe could go to another tribe and take part there. Doesn't Orlanthi Law relate only to individual structures? So, a clan chief is responsible only for his clan, a tribal king for his tribe and the King of Sartar only for Sartarite Tribes/Clans. It seems strange that someone outlawed from a clan is also effectively outlawed from the whole of Orlanthi society.

Does the same apply to people who are temporarily outlawed?

[Dinosaur Mode] Struggling to understand these new-fangled ideas .....

See Ya

Simon