Re: Outlawry

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_CUSbUEq1UgTIq_YGgfOih4c58X_zcdXP2Z4bnXShkFXCeJ5UCRI5_PYcigYh2sauzdRtjHLK>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:52:59 +0100

"Rob" <lamorak33_at_RsaQTcD4cygfrw6qLMlbVuadJHPG9n7RzjSQCIREiE3JuqJdPRQFdH_OWYL6_yY-8QMpHu-2E70NUeb-Gg.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>I am not convinced that a clan or tribe can have the power to break
>an individuals connection to their initiation deity is such a hot
>idea. Outlawry is bad enough being ostracised from your society. And
>it doesn't make any sense that so and so can no longer relate to his
>god because he got caught up in a raid and wound up on the wrong side
>of a juror.

I agree... to me, the disadvantage of outlawry should be more that you can't take part in the regular holy day worship and sacrifices with the rest of your clan, nor can you visit the temples and holy places (except in disguise, which is a good scenario right there...). That certainly has the potential to damage your relationship with the gods and so harm your magic, but it's not an automatic thing.

An outlawed Orlanth devotee would probably have the dedication and knowledge to carry out the sacred rites by himself on some lonely hilltop... but without community support and peer pressure, a more typical outlaw might not bother anymore. (In HQ game terms, at the very least I suggest they'd have to pay the Unrelated doubled cost to improve magical abilities. In RQ, they can't renew Rune magic without access to a temple.)

But considering that Orlanth himself was once an outlaw, I can't see him denying magical support on principle to a mortal who follows in his footsteps...

Stephen