Re: Outlawry

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_-_xLDinOqJICrCJ21fjAy29APscP84rIhKaJ7aFZyt7mFUUFTl3Bl-ILq4eSOGv3OYNnrQMc>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:42:48 +0100

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_7FbFNYhz1KVGnmJc0Va_dC0tc5ucnrrUp0q5l3s-Mt8k5mJPYAEeoU9TBoZCrJk3gPICXodlh2cg.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Will you please share with me the story of when Orlanth was an outlaw?

Wouldn't that be during the reign of the Evil Emperor?

KoS p57, "Whenever anyone broke one of the emperor's laws, they were outlawed and exiled to the regions beyond the rule of the Emperor. If anyone offended the Fire Tribe they were driven out of the good lands. After a while all the other tribes, like us, wandered in dangerous territory."

Admittedly the list of outlawed gods doesn't mention Orlanth by name, but it does include Issaries and Lhankor Mhy as well as Vadrus and, somewhat incongrously, Chalana Arroy. But I always assumed that the entire Storm Tribe, including Umath and his sons, were outlaws during this period, living in a secret and guarded camp. Is this wrong?

There's also the description of Varanorlanth in 'Thunder Rebels' that specifies that he learned how to survive without "stead, weapons or kin". Which sounds rather like an outlaw - under what other circumstances would an Orlanthi be without kin?

Stephen