Re: Outlawry

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_LIwhZUFAedTvn480AMNvh_OaP3oPK2pMtvrSFAkzc0wWOxU3L18UPgSL4b9zD8fSJ2sKGVC>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:17:28 -0700

YGWV Quoting valkoharja <rintasaa_at_pCshag97IUjMob2QwIPfdRJ7_IzTW81AYrWcrhoi0Cs9Ek3KsoifwEp-UP_y3IeijrrxSGULARK1WXx8.yahoo.invalid>:

>> I am not convinced that a clan or tribe can have the power to break
>> an individuals connection to their initiation deity is such a hot
>> idea.

As I said previously, I think that there should be a contest between the community's desire to disenfranchise the outlawed individual from his gods, and the individual's personal relationship to the gods.

> Personally I love it. The Heortling society is very community based.
> Powerful magic should also be community based, and dependant on your
> relationships to clan and bloodline.
>
> And heck, it really makes the horror of being outlawed be felt by the
> players.

And I agree with this.
I have realized that most modern people really do not recognize how difficult it would be for people in this type of society to be without a social group. It would normally be fatal for them.

And thus it should be normal for the individuals to die under outlawry, hence be bereft of their magic.

OTOH, there is the tradition of someone being saved from outlawry/exile by his personal connection with the gods.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford