Re: Outlawry

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_ltkPgfHWH51hkcrLa-8472lig51XIbbWhIfc-poOc5FkldBK1Js08pj8mTil-rBcL2na>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 07:06:04 -0000

> As I said previously, I think that there should be a contest between
> the community's desire to disenfranchise the outlawed individual from
> his gods, and the individual's personal relationship to the gods.

I think this is important. Most folk, once outlawed, succumb to the curse of their community and lose their connection to the gods. However, the gods favor some individuals, who keep their connection even when outlawed.

> I have realized that most modern people really do not recognize how
> difficult it would be for people in this type of society to be without
> a social group. It would normally be fatal for them.

Exactly.

> And thus it should be normal for the individuals to die under
> outlawry, hence be bereft of their magic.

Which is why outlaws without a personal connection to the gods turn to entities like Gagarth and Mallia.

> OTOH, there is the tradition of someone being saved from
> outlawry/exile by his personal connection with the gods.

Yep. Somebody with a very strong relationship to his god(s) or a devotee is likely to continue that relationship despite the curse of his community. Only a few exception people can pull this off - heroes and ... player characters!

Jeff