Re: Pamaltela & Horses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_n2jpmNJ7XAqMw7ZXLRfUfAV5Ao3Dxch6mtMGfc_PSqzZSaFKTWweuLgsVJALIwxf9JobASP>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:01:33 -0700

YGWV Quoting David Dunham <david_at_8-uHBLmqvZXzzGwAsHDy76h_Xg-uy4VtCSfeitWw74wfHUsZt2FJLFELwnvET1amuvEcYF32we1JjA.yahoo.invalid>:

> Greg
>
>> There are not real native beasts of burden in my Pamaltela.
>
> I don't know if you're lumping the north coast in or not. In my
> Pamaltela, various pachyderms are used in Umathela and Fonrit. (I
> think though they're less commonly used than horses/high
> llamas/bisons/etc. in Genertela.)

Pachyderms are cool.

One of my core motivations in this is my knowledge that there are no cavalry, or mounted troops, native to Pamalela; and the imported ones die off easily.

> Both of which BTW grow grains which horses can eat.

YGWV.
Although upon occasion I vacillate on this point.

> Though I just
> learned that eating too much millet may result in toxic accumulations
> of alkaloids or nitrates. So the northerners can maintain horses, but
> they will need to be very careful with their diet. (Of course, these
> horses aren't native.)

I suddenly feel tempted to include the horse flu spirit :

> Oh, speaking of imports: I think Sandy pointed out that the Middle
> Sea Empire introduced mules. I don't know if these were all
> eradicated due to their God Learner association -- for some reason
> they didn't seem to show up in my Umathela game.

Interesting.
I am sue where the GL went their customs, with horses and mules and certainly burros too, followed.
And they all died out in Pamaltela.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.