Re: Pamaltela & Horses

From: David Dunham <david_at_b8NLui5WN4mSHU4rE6xd_WasnqSNPvX0N-7INpdWzLSE4gB4zyf2QMscr3dpxY2s6vLSK7>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:15:09 -0700

Greg

>One of my core motivations in this is my knowledge that there are no
>cavalry, or mounted troops, native to Pamalela; and the imported ones
>die off easily.

This is clearly the case for Pamalt's domain, south of the Fense.

I'm with David Cake -- it seems unlikely that the Six Legged Empire would be so-named if their horses kept dying off. So Hon Hoolbiktu must have done something to make things worse. And anything he did is more likely to affect only his own domain, which is Pamalt's.

Even on the north coast, horses don't really thrive. In the majority of the continent, they find it hard to survive at all.

As to what Hon Hoolbiktu did, I haven't a clue either. I recall Sandy once saying/writing (in a con transcript?) that when a Doraddi finds a tuft of grass, he plucks it out (with an appropriate curse). Which suggests that there's still some rare grass to be found on the plains. It may be there used to be significantly more, and Hon Hoolbiktu got rid of it. Which made it pretty difficult to operate horses in the south.

> > Both of which BTW grow grains which horses can eat.
>
>YGWV.
>Although upon occasion I vacillate on this point.

Millet is documented for Fonrit in Gods of Glorantha. I think it's a safe extrapolation to say it also grows to the west in Umathela.

--

David Dunham