Re: Pamaltela & Horses

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_kEGlxZBckkEZIuMbFXmp4Vl8Dt3rrdAx7lq-WTyTFjOMYfdxPvSI7uu809ASkqKnIJm>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:58:48 +1200

Horses are mentioned in Dolofey in the north of Jolar.
	"[...] the local warlord, who inevitably rides on a wheezing
	horse in imitation of northern ways".

	Missing Lands p70.

The phrase is ambiguous as to whether one warlord rules all of Dolofey as to many horse-riding warlords or what exactly do the northern ways refer to.

For Fonrit, it's said that "good horses must be imported and cavalry is rare" (ML p62). Since oceanic trade is not sophisticated enough for large numbers of horses to be carried from Genertela to Pamaltela, I assume there's an indigenous supply of horses left from the God Learner period. Since the westerners would have brought the horses, I associate the cavalry tradition with the local Malkioni populations (Ebbeshal, Malkioni Umathela and perhaps Dindanko).

--Peter Metcalfe