Re: Outlawry

From: Paul King <paul_at_azl8_O2OcijE2G3KxKHnC4SMgysPsuZuZFUtrP0u_hjk_apnayNqj58KwcNQc9Np1b1KAwU>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:20:42 +0100

On 1 Aug 2007, at 23:36, Greg Stafford wrote:

>> I see it as part of being cut off from the community - and the
>> larger
>> Storm Tribe. Perhaps it requires the outlaws kin - or at least some
>> of them - to willingly and sincerely participate in the ritual.
>
> No, it doesn't. If it did then it would be impossible to get rid of
> some
> thieving spy who doesn't have any living relatives.

Someone who has no living kin (even by adoption) is arguably not fully part of the community in the first place. Instead of taking a rigid line consider the point of it - breaking the tie to the kin requires the kin to truly take part in breaking that tie. If the outlaw has no kin, that would not apply - there is no tie to break.

The really difficult cases would be where a larger group who are all kin are involved - maybe a Bloodline has fallen to kinstrife, yet one side is slain or fled. There are probably rites to outlaw an entire bloodline, for extreme cases like the above.

Another possibility is that the Ancestors could be summoned and take the place of kin. That would be an extreme measure - but one that would emphasise the cutting off from the Clan.