Re: Outlawry

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_9zcfxLR2J2zrysCRlv-LFlOtCV-oxTiQ-aTRBTOn7cj_NvIx2a49TyZuMmCjaUNBqFhoe6x_>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:33:00 +0100

Greg Stafford <Greg_at_WnbRgwKyIY65C7fqlIusz04i1TjKHYDe98Fk4RRJITc6fd9dGS2tp70sMa3AmrcPDhpurvT_56Qep0La.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Too bad for the individual to be outlawed. He ought to have thought of
>that before he committed some offense so heinous that it would offend
>the people who are normally obliged to support him in just about anything.

Just to thrown in something else: what about the clans who are forced to outlaw one of their members by outside political pressure?

"Those rebels who've been raiding Lunar caravans? They're not part of this clan anymore, Mr Governor, sir. We've outlawed them."

It would seem odd for the Sartarite rebellion to be cut off from worshipping Orlanth. ;-) But if the clans are simply lying to the Lunars and haven't gone through the outlawing ritual at all, isn't that extremely risky? If they get found out, the entire clan will be punished - and it's not as if the Lunars don't have enough Heortling collaborators to be able to recognise a correctly performed ceremony, surely?

Stephen