Re: Outlawry

From: donald_at_ZdiwRMrrIuzHHYOpdqhJzXnmOMEvNgvpJX54oIK4OvS7gtl9FYsFn1iqMGQexOD9QR2hx
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:37:16 GMT

In message <f8s5qc+cs0j_at_eGroups.com> "jorganos" writes:

>Returning to another topic (Ernaldan kinship webs), what happens if a
>woman gets exiled from the clan she married into? Can she declare
>divorce, and return to her birth clan? Would that clan would take her
>in again (probably depending on what crime she was accused of)? If not
>taking her in again, does the birth clan have to confirm that exile?
>Is this part of the marriage arrangements?

Those crimes that result in clan outlawry are so bad to the Heortling mindset that I can't see her birth clan wanting anything to do with her. Political outlawry will probably result in her divorce, return and may start a feud.

Incidently TR uses "exile" to refer to a lesser form of outlawry involving a fixed period away from the clan. In that case I'm sure she can return to her birth clan, possibly without the divorce.

>King of Dragon Pass has one story-line about the haughty
>trouble-making daughter, with one of the (bad) solutions being exile
>(there are no good solutions to that problem).

A daughter is going to be exiled from her birth clan so in the same position as a man. I can see her mother's birth clan taking her in but her status is going to be so low that she'll wish she was back home. "Even a stickpicker wouldn't marry you".

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/