Re: Brands

From: donald_at_13y7N9_HK3qT4wKEO8goIJXPTRexs9paUB0h4QN3OdkvQP3S5LsHkYd0oO1t6wYjOmcFc
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:12:41 GMT

In message <46B2CAAD.8000804_at_djMGQ8EW0Q9Lk_BGagQUC1flumW6oVr0pSWlu0JWELE-9yTuQ_Fr2oHTa-_T0efppGv76_7AwF0wla00OyAGyUXa8b7Mn2JQ3w.yahoo.invalid> Greg Stafford writes:
>Guy Hoyle wrote:
>>
>> Do Orlanthi brand their cattle? Does any Gloranthan culture do so?
>>
>I rather assumed they used ear-slitting, but am entirely open to
>suggestions.

Branding is going to be rather tricky on long-haired cattle and the coat will hide the brand.

Another possibility is dyeing clan markings into the animals' horn. Dyeing or painting the coat would reflect the temporary nature of cattle ownership in Orlanthi society. A newly shorn animal indicating a recent transfer of ownership.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/