Re: Brands

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_LjtCI3AlJ-Xu0Yi0AoFZ9GNa3BocWoY2ctrzYtigExNCNn51rYT5ihSgDXEaUFVgWobJrLsb>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 11:12:15 +0100

David Dunham <david_at_4SyZbWthufbhd4OLmPv-qOmarSzYDOgHsE8unNGdDsBJD10-M7XnZNPfgmzWs_GzDkpJClXHXSxXWQ.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>The cows of Tarsh are portrayed in the game as being less hairy. I
>don't think they're shown with brands in the one or two scenes
>they're in. IMO it's more likely branding happens among the Bisosae.
>Or possibly Ralios. Anyone know what cattel breeds correspond to what
>they have? (Worion has curl-horned cattle according to ILH-1.)

Branding seems to me to be a very Solar thing to do. It involves imposing the power of Fire/Sky onto mortal creatures, who are expected to submit to its touch. It's permanent - a mark of stable and unchanging ownership. And it hurts... in other words, I think it's the sort of thing the Pentans would have invented, then spread to Dara Happa during their occupation in the Grey Age. From there the custom would have spread out through Peloria.

Stephen