Re: lunars and the other otherworlds

From: donald_at_EmgE0-rkQ1-6DzAuivHOrxEl_ILqsaHMt1FjWii0KqRtuQqstyUz77MiDxdeKhLkxpUHH
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:56:39 GMT

In message <d853e77238bccbfac9156b8820261d1a_at_poOfP3WY0RMdwtllSBUS_q3dZstvZJypDGCXZ59-mwaxxhuJiktQnqOyL6fMxYmTw2h7KqsASWLcWmig4gQYJlbBycVZy-sSoE7HFwsIzaEBL3ebZps.yahoo.invalid> Dan Guillou writes:
>Me:
> >> Jakaleeli shamans are equally at home in the lunar otherworld
> >>and on the spirit plane, right? Now I wonder...
>
>Greg
> > That is right.
> > She is a peculiar exception to the "Lunars are ONLY from the
> > Moon" rule.
>
>Umm... I had a look through ILHB2 and found a couple of others.
>Arimtasus, the Red Manimat, is either a lunar immortal, or a majestic
>spirit of the SurEnslib tradition. Or both, I guess.

Yes, he seems to be another exception.

>Blaskarth, steed of the goddess, is also Huvaran, death of the
>Rinliddi?

This seems to be more the Lunar way changing an existing god or developing a new one from an old one. Whether it is possible to worship Huvaran now or not I don't know. Maybe the Rinliddi never directly worshipped Huvaran and their collateral worship now supports to bat.

>Chaghatishi Moon-Bow is a lunar immortal, but with special magic that
>allows you to interact with spirits and the animistic otherworld
>without penalties.

Given that magic is only available as the cult secret, I'd suggest that is a specific bit of Lunar magic rather than an ability to get magic from the spirit plane.

>Makabaeus place on the otherside is both an essence node on the Moon,
>and a Makabaeus node on the Saint Plane, apparently.

Although Makabaeus has a node on the spirit plane I get the impression it's purely a bolt hole and they can only draw power from the Red Moon. This may be a restriction placed on Makabaeus by the Goddess which is lifted when they have achieved sufficent status in the cult. Basically those who can be trusted to use the essence plane in the interests of the Goddess rather than themselves.

>Undrendrum, the Red Falcon, is both a lunar immortal, and a member of
>the Rinliddi pantheon.

His magic is purely Lunar. He appears to be the Lunar variation of Vaskaru much as Yanafal Tarnils is the Lunar version of Humakt. Remember ILH2 is from a Lunar perspective which won't be accepted by everyone in the empire.

>So, Jakaleel isn't all that exceptional, is she? In fact, it seems that
>there are hardly any ethnical pantheon within lunar empire, that
>doesn't have go-between, compromising the old ways and the new lunar
>way.

That's what a lot of the Lunar immortals are - go-betweens to bind cultures to the Moon. In general though their magic comes from the Moon not the world their culture got their magic from. The Lunars would say the Moon is a superior source of magic however when the Moon falls they're going to be in the same position as the Orlanthi during the Windstop.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/