Re: Scanning the maps from Dragon Pass and Nomad Gods

From: Alison Place <alison_place_at_YhX-flSKK4IFl-y1P-M3Ku8XCBah_L4B0zy6s1TLm9xx61xB8evReflXvzBXO1H>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

     I think we're arguing definitions here. Yes, it is most definitely a map. Perhaps a fairly good map by 17th C definitions (mapping gets pretty good by the 1700's). You could certainly use it to show the basic outlines of the various regions.

     However, my point was that all the boundaries are very obviously forced to fit the constrains of a hex grid for the purposes of the Dragon Pass game itself. All those 120 degree angles are very unusualand suspicious otherwise. Neither do I argue that it doesn't show broadly where stuff is. In fact I would say that I imply that in the original post. So people who don't have any large map of DP would certainly find it handy.

     However, there are known differences between various versions of the map. E.g. the sketch map in the RQ2 book shows the River and the Creek joining before they run into Delecti's Marsh, but the grid map doesn't. A significant point if you want to navigate around there. Etc.

Alison

> I disagree a great deal Alison. It's most definitely
a true map. It's
> not an a real photograph, but it's still an
incredibly accurate map by
> the standards of any period before the 1900's.
>
> It's attractive and colourful, and helps one see the
relative
> boundaries and areas of various political entities
of the Dragon Pass