Re: Moon Design - Printing update

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_h3twcdR86TzsX0dWiTsciviqsXdbkXTtXJa8SzDdymLdQs_OzjMa2k1eFD9QQJhw8GSb>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:45:53 -0000

> This is something that perplexes me. Why all the blurb about HQ and
> its wonderful engine if we only get stats of groups and people we
> never heard of or are unlikely to hear of again.

I think you are missing the point somewhat. HQ is a wonderful engine in large part because fixed stats cease to be terribly important. It is meaningless to say that an entity has a rating of 10M3 unless I know what I am comparing that too.

Ratings are fluid and comparative in HQ, not fixed and independent like in many other game systems. I don't need to have stats for the Red Emperor, merely an idea about what powers are associated with him and the knowledge that he is extremely powerful. Unless my game is independently pitting Harrek against Jar-Eel (and not via narration), I don't need to go through some sort of Hulk versus Superman ratings exercise.

Jeff