Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_yqwQlYWqvk_2utemuv_MQmZOO7i2jh4c77wnCB7LpQZEVFv4c5ZGQhPbyzF63GedmV>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:51:10 -0000

Hi

First off, we have stats for the main Orlanthi hero's like Kallyr, Broyan and the rest. So I don't understand why you would 'never' need stats for Harrek, Jar Eel, Cragspider et al. FWIW I expect to see them in a the GAC (Great Argrath Campaign) and maybe a couple of sets to represent each character at different times in the campaign if room allows.

When I ran a high level game that was set in Whitewall it was helpfull to have stats for the major characters. If nothing else the HQ stats tell a story by themselves, and I made extensive use of the various individual characters who made up each major npc personal retinue.

> > Rick:
> > > I wouldn't want to see a "Deities & Demigods" effect, wherein
> > > people use it as a "if it has stats you can kill it" book.

I really don't think this would be the 'usual' use of this material, but each to their own.

Mark:
> With the liberating freedom of having nothing to do now with the
actual
> commissioning or production of MD stuff, let me say that I think
Rick,
> if anything, underplays the likely furore which would follow any
> general attempt to stat up many of the VIPs of canon Glorantha.

Good point Mark, but hey, lots of us like the debate!

Mark:
> a benchmark 'this is a standard Heortling thane, this is a Dara
Happan
> hoplite' series of ability levels is handy, but the further up the
food
> chain one goes, the less useful having some established stats seem
> me to be.

All I would say is that a staple of RPG's is that die rolling and stats are used as a way of resolving whether something did or did not happen. Thats why we have character sheets. Thats why published scenario's have benchmarks, and stats for the characters.

Greg Stafford has stats for King Arthur and all the major Arthurian characters. Is Pendragon lessened by it? I think you will find that most Pendragon players, GM's, afficianados are delighted to see and have these stats, and many want to see how Greg rates them.

Mark
> Let's say some MD book gives the official stats, so that
> Harrek has Kill Anything 20W6, JarEel Elegantly Deadly 20W5 and
> Ethilrist I'll Kill You First 20W4.

But with HQ stats you get a picture of the character. We are not talking Spot Hidden 165%, or Bear Claws 610%. We are talking about Inpsirational Leadership 1w3, Loyal to Followers 20w2, etc. Stats that tell us something important about that character.

Regards
Rob