Re: Moon Design - Printing update

From: donald_at_kDGhK8BOZUOu3t-mAAdaLaIIW0C7yGc9hJaIqSCkULQu3K0d-DLZp0puJt8Ia1kdloBy0
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:02:40 GMT

In message <f9sbbn+6qci_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:
>wrote:
><snip>
>> I think you are missing the point somewhat. HQ is a wonderful
>> engine in large part because fixed stats cease to be terribly
>> important. It is meaningless to say that an entity has a rating of
>> 10M3 unless I know what I am comparing that too.
>
>I suppose you meant to put "in my opinion" in there somewhere. As it
>stands it prompts me to say - no it isn't. It definitely isn't
>meaningless. We have guidelines to show the relative power and ability
>levels of people and entities, and to me it's very interesting to hear
>where heroes and other important people stand in those scales.

They're easy enough to work out if you really want to. Based on HQ pg. 274 and GITTHW pg. 104/5 here's JarEel:

Major Abilities

  Scimitar Combat     15W4
  Beautiful           10W3
  Debate Theology     15W2
  Play Harp           12W3

Relationships
  Worshipped by the Bloodspillers 20W2

  Friend of Tageniki                  5W2
  People's hero                      10W2

The interesting bit is her magic. It appears she has obtained feats from several immortals and possibly other stuff as well. I'd suggest this reflects the fact that she's got a head start on becoming immortal and doesn't reflect ordinary characters at all.

Yanafal Tarnils               - Warlord Affinity     10W3
Yanafal Tarnils               - Combat Spirits       15W3
Hwain Dalthippa               - Conquer Affinity      5W3
HonEel                        - Seduction Affinity   10W3
Donadar or a Lunar musician   - Entrancement         15W2

Now we can argue of the details but overall I'd say that's about right. It isn't very helpful in that she is one of three known individuals of that level in Glorantha.

So your PC encounters her. First off there's a contest to see if he or she falls in love with her. Beautiful 10W3 augmented by Foster Infatuation +7 and Weave Illusion with Sound +6. That's a total of 3W4 before she starts trying which the PC is going to oppose with say Hate Lunars 5W. I think we know the result of that contest....

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/