Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_ED-7xy_to5EJbyRZqAt78P5uQh-MM7zAI5v0ge0YeFrDeJnjGVXp8YQ2MogYyHXHXAB>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:21:37 +0100

Brian Curley wrote:

> jongjom2003 wrote:
> > --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:WorldofGlorantha%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rick Meints" <rjmeints_at_...>
> > wrote:
> >> Lastly, do people want to play in campaigns/senarios where they
> > would
> >> interact (or be in conflict) with such powerful demi-god types?
> >
> > For me: very much so! If not that then what's the point of the scale?
> > It's HeroQuest after all!
>
> For me, it's like when the Star Wars RPG came out... you're playing in
> the past of the world. We know that Argrath is going to raise a dragon
> to devour the Temple of the Reaching Moon, and that he'll eventually
> pull the Moon down from the sky. We may not know exactly *who* this
> Argrath is, but we certainly know what he (and many of the other movers
> and shakers) are going to do in the future, at least in general terms.

Do we? I'd have thought that a large point of playing HeroQuest (rather than reading a book like King of Sartar) is that you *can* prevent Argrath doing all this stuff if you want to. The idea that Argrath must do all these things in everyone's games strikes me as anathema! YGWV, after all.

> So, like in Star Wars, what would be the point of stats for Darth Vader?
> [snip]
>

> You don't needs
> stats for a fait accompli.

Except that even Vader isn't a fait accompli. True, we know the heroes won't kill him, and we know that they won't inconvenience him at certain specific points in the story... but that doesn't mean that they can't even interact with him in a way that would make at least some of his stats meaningful.

And, as I say, I don't think Vader is a good analogy anyway, since we don't know what will happen to Argrath in that sort of detail in our campaigns (still less Jar-Eel).

> Might as well have stats for a chair, IMO.

I don't really get this. Oh, sure I can see why some people don't need stats for the powerful folks - I don't need stats for the Red Emperor or Jar-Eel myself at the moment, and I'm not at all sure I ever will. But I don't begrudge other people those stats if they find them useful.

The reason these stats have not been published so far is that nobody has made a good enough proposal (or, for all I know, any proposal) to Moon Design for a book that might include them. And doing it well would, I suspect, be rather a daunting task.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic