Re Charismatic skills

From: Ian Borchardt <iborchar_at_9pP2ruJdHYnwzvbC73LEM9AsV1xoH_dLqh8kKdH54rqODMF0SnqswQBXZpZTYr9wu6Q>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:13:54 +0930

>> But do you really need stats for that? I'd hate for 'I make JarEel
>> think I'm the best thing since sliced moonbread' to be a roll rather
>> than a piece of roleplaying.
>
> Would you really? What are skills like Boast there for then?

Skills in this case should be a measure of how well you deliver your intended message, not neccessarily the quality of the message (which is roleplaying). Just as a craft skill enables you to craft an object. The choice and use of the object is totally up to you. Even a poor craftsman who has an innovative approach could produce a crude object that would do the job better than an excellent craftsman who has no idea what to do. The same goes for influencing people.

Besides, if a player is an excellent boaster but the character is not, then is it really good roleplaying?

--
Ian Borchardt    (iborchar_at_ZJLcbC3_xqFRMi8gHSVi7AOUvJo50rPidUc-rbgB2-4T4ei_vsP0fsd8dc0cWzT1UPGiP0UwjOrsS17AIA.yahoo.invalid)
Philosoph, Fool, and Magician