Re: Example of a "learning a feat" quest?

From: donald_at_16dhQHX1jjDZGequfg6fgbCmpJkOAg_zvw78e_Z5ucTePI4a8QV55qHMUKCR0nglZfl0q
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 02:11:44 GMT

In message <200708141446.12913.lightcastle_at__AkdTvg05bbl-uwO-Byaai4ZV3kCutrGffDBn7oAGl5pKJqgYMEoAfssx7vE5iup8WWi3xQgKIuYEwCEDo5b5E6ERiRx6pDWz_uJRS_UXlHY.yahoo.invalid> "L.Castellucci" writes:
>On August 14, 2007 01:14 pm, valkoharja wrote:
>> Does anybody have an example of the sort of rituals / questing one
>> does to learn a feat? I'm going to run some introductory stuff to a
>> new gamer who is going to play a Vingan, and wishes to focus on magic.
>
>I've been more and more perturbed about the "learning a feat" quest.
>
>If it's a Hero Quest, then you only have the one shot to do it, yes? (I
>can't remember if that rule was lifted.)

I certainly see that as applying here. You prepare for the quest, study your god's actions, practice in the material world and repeat them on the Hero Plane. The path is well trodden and with community support most will succeed. If you manage to screw up then you can never learn that feat unless you find an alternative quest which will be more difficult simply because it isn't so well known.

>Secondly, this means all Feats are available to any non-initiate willing
>to do a heroquest for the feat. That's fine, except that Animism and
>Wizardry are not similarly stealable.

Sure anyone can take on that HQ but without the cult secret knowledge they won't know the stations, just the general outline of the myth. And the myth requires the questor to emulate the god which a non-initiate will be less able to do. So what to initiates is a calculated risk becomes a highly dangerous practice for the average person.

You can steal charms although you require someone to atune them to you. Just as you can steal grimoires but you have to learn to read them. Different techniques but stealing magic does happen.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/