Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_11kCVuR_IgwjyvV1OVywKI7zWMkGbGBgzYs2bZRamz2X9QqirkrfiUNZCBzO6nchdwUu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:35:33 -0000

> but you would concede, workable and usable up to a point?

OK, my complaints about the stats given for Broyan and Kallyr is that they were premature - they were an attempt to write them as complete characters, but they could not help but be incomplete. I made the same error in the Orlmarthing book - I think there are "stats" for Leika and Blackmor in it.

Personally, I think it would be much better to give a good description of the abilities and items of various epic characters and let folk plug them into their campaigns as they will.

The trick in Heroquest is to realize that the game mechanic is remarkably flexible and that the narrator has much more control in staging key contests than in other game systems. It is your story - how do you want to have your players interact or fight with these epic heroes? If you think they have properly prepared themselves, gathered the Six Sacred Stones, experienced (and survived) the Vision of the Infinite Multitude and replaced their own heart with the Heartstone of Pavis, then give them a shot at resisting Jar-Eel's attempts to seduce them to the Lunar Way (maybe make it Difficult instead of Nigh-Impossible). But don't worry about some set of external stats - play the story, not the stats!

Jeff