Re: Example of a "learning a feat" quest?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_kqsZK5WybtOZjTA6MImdTjDXeeOasoFs2txvg42ju6339mX51Urvp-nYpSBDEZAEIu9NeVw>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:33:36 -0700

YGWV valkoharja wrote:

[Greg Stafford]

> > In that manner they learn how it feels, where the feat lives within
> > them--they obtain a mark or other outward sign of the magic.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Wow! What is this like? Does it mean something like a Vingan's hair
> turning red, a persons eyes changing colour or parhaps manifesting a
> birthmark or a tattoo?

I had two things in mind: one is tattoos. And it is less of a manifestation than that the deity in question goes back to the hall afterwards and the tattooist imbeds the mark as a way to remember the deed just done. And, because it is the way that these things work, the people get it at the same time.

Secondly is the magical object. In the myth the deity might have taken something to commemorate the deed, like the pebble from the stream that he used to throw at his foe, or a bracelet she used to dress up to prepare for the seduction. Afterwards this object is shown to everyone as the story is retold and becomes the outward symbol of the deed.

NOW, as we all know it is impossible to bring something out from the Hero Plane unless you bring something in. So the HQer would have brought in an appropriate pebble or bracelet, already prepared to hold he magic.

(Note that when youths go off on their early exploratory quests they carry along a set of prepared items because they do not know what they might encounter. The cultural norms have certain likely encounters of course, and so all the new initiates would have the same or similar "package.")

> > When they return to the Everything World they know the Feat.
> >
> > So look at the stories of Vinga, and there you will be able to see
> > where she perform her great deeds. In the myths, when it says she
> > did something, assume she is accompanied by her war band-those are
> > the worshippers.
>
> This is sometimes a bit tricky when the deeds in question are those of
> a daring loner, or in the nature of sneaking around. Always room for a
> few dogged followers I suppose. Perhaps in the most dramatic moments
> when Vinga is sneaking into the enemy camp, the followers are hiding
> in a nearby bush, and get to see how she does it. Oh yes, and then
> sneak in themselves, just like she showed, I suppose!

Yes.

--GS