Re: The problem here [was: Epic NPCs and their stats]

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_3EFylCx2ETb9K1Cghckcxi_YqYpVsKcmFr9NrrZ5ldw8pQnkq6mbiEiAkzvx67w42Vjt>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:01:35 -0000

> I'd say that if we know enough about the character, stats are not
needed.
> Like, for example, I don't need specific abilities for heortling
warriors
> anymore, because I know enough to rely on the keyword only.
However, in
> order to give enough information about say, Harrek, I'd need several
pages
> of of tales and information about him and his abilties and
relationships.

This is all probably true.

> I'm guessing that we won't get 10 pages about Harrek, so I'll settle
for
> the stats.

However, if we haven't written the 10 pages about Harrek, how reliable are the stats? IMO, not very reliable at all. Part of my problem with the stats for Broyan et all is that they were written BEFORE the character was actually described and well defined. As a result, I consider the stats given for some of the characters in OiD to be of very dubious reliability.

Frankly, I think the old RQ Cradle scenario had this right. You didn't need stats for Garrath Sharpsword or Jarang Bladesong or Pinchining - they weren't necessary. Stats should be provided only when necessary - otherwise they are premature and confine creativity.

Jeff

Jeff