Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Rob <lamorak33_at_bHDzdmgIeJcLtN2eJJlPA49iyEth6OjQJTLu2c8YPjrCGmt630JlOqdlGTfTsAEFog>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:27:10 -0000

Hi Mark

I think you are right to an extent. However Greg invited us to discuss this matter on this forum as this is the sort of thing he is considering for inclusion in GAC. But lets not argue.

Not withstanding the issue seems to boil down to play style; folks campaigns skewing ability levels out of sync with the published HQ rules (which may or may not lack internal consistency in terms of ratings anyway, but thats a whole other thread).

But agreed, the above is a divide thats not worth persuing any further. Lets all agree to disagree on this emotive subject.

But what would be useful further debate would be how to present major GAC NPC's.

  1. I think we can agree on that we all want more background on the major NPC's than was given in OiD for example.
  2. More detail about their followers who may provide an access to non combat interaction with the major NPC, and hints of how they may be used.
  3. A critical path of the Hero Wars for each NPC, which the GM can use as a springboard for his own game. Like in Pendragon - Arthur is born, Arthur pulls sword from stone, Arthur shags his sister unknowingly, Marries Gwen, yadda yadda yadda until he gets carted off to Avalon in a boat, all with dates.
  4. A list of abilities, with numbers that inform us within the scales as set out in HQ that inform us of the NPC priorities in a way that a narrative can't. In Pendragon we know that Lancelot is Chaste, but his love for Guenevere is greater. Otherwise what can we say about the morals of a guy who cuckolds his best mater and king? Pendragon stats are great in this respect. This facility exists in the HQ system, and was most useful for me when using the characters from OiD.
  5. So, Harrek - 2/2.5 pages, with half a page for a character diagram as is used in publication so far. Maybe a page, page and a half for each Argrath.

So, to move things on, lets agree that some will think 4 is of little value, others of great value.

What could improve the above, and what other ideas for presenting these characters are there? Oh, and excuse my keep referring to Pendragon - but the GPC is without doubt a triumph of genre setting campaign books. If the GAC is half as good it will be stupendous! :^)

Regards
Rob