Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_tDfsqs7gmZaIYMVIN1xliS4_WZzWwQ1p2aBIqhofyLnSfiVDfEe723kD8uwHLX7f>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:14:12 -0400

On August 17, 2007 09:50 am, donald_at_RVL_A2-JLN7s3R7C3yuY-E46jeVcOuuS2wVJs2S8TUbYNiAUPHokRrZfJZHkWtP2XwuC8Jl2ndBtw0ZhER55.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> That's related to another issue. An NPC will never be as detailed
> as a PC so will not have as many potential augments. To balance
> that either the base ratings need to be higher or you regard that
> as a difference between PC heros and the rest of Gloranthans. The
> problem isn't so much how the ratings are determined as making
> clear to the reader the basis they have been set. From this
> discussion it's clear there's not even any agreed basis among
> the writers.

Bingo.

This is pretty much my view. Explain the bias/basis for the stats. Hell, enforce a standard for "Published Glorantha". No one has to use it for their games. But if you know how things fit with each other, it is easy to work from. (i.e. - the Hero Book scale or the one in the HQ book, or what have you.)

I'd even say "Published Glorantha" can have NO stats as a standard. Fine. That's the standard. All writers are expected to put no stats or sample resistances in their work.

You could put examples up on glorantha.com. I remember years ago in Dragon magazine they had an article on Beowulf, another on Loki. Each of these articles had some heavy background and then 2-3 different versions of presenting the character in stats. You pick the one that maps your vision best.

LC